A family law attorney specializes in the family law relationships which encompass adoption, child custody, visitation rights, domestic violence, divorce, juvenile dependency, marital property rights, support obligations, and paternity.
Family law is the name given to the branch of civil law that a family lawyer or a family attorney covers including the legal relationships among family members, including husbands, wives, parents, children, and domestic partners. A family law attorney or a family law lawyer specializes in the family law relationships which encompass adoption, child custody, visitation rights, domestic violence, divorce, juvenile dependency and delinquency, marital property rights, support obligations, and paternity.
Because these personal relationships are governed by state law, what constitutes "family law" may vary from state to state. Please read on to find a family lawyer, family attorney or to learn more about family law. Family lawyer and family attorney information provided by Lawyers.com.
Find a Family Law Attorney in your area.
Family law deals with family-related issues and domestic relations including, but not limited to:
- the nature of marriage, civil unions, and domestic partnerships;
- issues arising during marriage, including spousal abuse, legitimacy, adoption, surrogacy, child abuse, and child abduction
- the termination of the relationship and ancillary matters including divorce, annulment, property settlements, alimony, and parental responsibility orders (in the United States, child custody and visitation, child support awards).
This list is by no means dispositive of the potential issues that come through the family court system. In many jurisdictions in the United States, the family courts see the most crowded dockets. Litigants representative of all social and economic classes are parties within the system.
- Estate Planning Law Formsfosterlawforms.comDescription: Foster Law Forms provides our self help customers with petitions, agreements and directive to include Cohabitation Agreement, Advance Directive, Divorce Petition, LLC Forms Packages, Last Will and Testament, Prenuptial Agreement, Promissory Note and Revoc ...State: IllinoisCountry: United States
- Illinois Divorce Attorney www.heidelbergerlaw.comDescription: The attorneys at Elliot Heidelberger are qualified family law & divorce lawyers with over 50 years of experience. They offer legal counsel and representation to the clients spread throughout Chicago and provide legal advice in areas of divorce law and fam ...State: IllinoisCountry: United States