A family law attorney specializes in the family law relationships which encompass adoption, child custody, visitation rights, domestic violence, divorce, juvenile dependency, marital property rights, support obligations, and paternity.
Family law is the name given to the branch of civil law that a family lawyer or a family attorney covers including the legal relationships among family members, including husbands, wives, parents, children, and domestic partners. A family law attorney or a family law lawyer specializes in the family law relationships which encompass adoption, child custody, visitation rights, domestic violence, divorce, juvenile dependency and delinquency, marital property rights, support obligations, and paternity.
Because these personal relationships are governed by state law, what constitutes "family law" may vary from state to state. Please read on to find a family lawyer, family attorney or to learn more about family law. Family lawyer and family attorney information provided by Lawyers.com.
Find a Family Law Attorney in your area.
Family law deals with family-related issues and domestic relations including, but not limited to:
- the nature of marriage, civil unions, and domestic partnerships;
- issues arising during marriage, including spousal abuse, legitimacy, adoption, surrogacy, child abuse, and child abduction
- the termination of the relationship and ancillary matters including divorce, annulment, property settlements, alimony, and parental responsibility orders (in the United States, child custody and visitation, child support awards).
This list is by no means dispositive of the potential issues that come through the family court system. In many jurisdictions in the United States, the family courts see the most crowded dockets. Litigants representative of all social and economic classes are parties within the system.
- The Law Office Of Steven T. Harris, PLLCwww.stharrislaw.comDescription: For legal advice and personal service during a challenging time for you, call our family law attorney Steven T. Harris in Durham, toll-free. 866-601-9439.State: North CarolinaCountry: United States
- Irwin Law Firm, PLLCwww.irwinfamilylaw.comDescription: The Irwin Law Firm, PLLC, in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, provides legal counsel for all your family matters with an emphasis on peaceable solutions. Call 888-606-8455 for a initial consultation.State: North CarolinaCountry: United States